Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Reaction to "Water Lilies" by Claude- Oscar Monet



 

This weekend we went to Paris. There, we were able to visit the Museum of Orangerie and the Louvre. Each of my sisters and I were told to write about our reaction to our favorite painting in them. I chose to write about  “Water Lilies” by Claude- Oscar Monet from the Orangerie. 

Monet has done 236 gorgeous paintings of Water Lilies.(http://www.claude-monet-paintings.com).  His paintbrush threw him in to creating these masterpieces in 1915 until, despondently, he finished painting water lilies in 1926 when he passed away..(http://www.nelson-atkins.org). The Orangerie proudly holds 4 of these paintings.


This lovely work of art Monet miraculously painted shines bright through my eyes because of the colors and technique he used, impressionism. It is a rich composition of diminutive strokes that creates remarkable angles leaving anyone who looks at this technique satisfied. I like the color Monet used in this painting because the way it can affect moods. Monet used this strong tool to make the person looking at his painting feel as if they have entered the calm atmosphere of it. His work proves that he truly is king of impressionism.



The four Water Lilies took up all the walls in the room. Monet wanted it like this so the person looking at them feels like they are in the painting. He had this vision years before but wasn't able to convince anyone to purchase the materials he wanted until only years before his death.

I've never been a huge fans of art museums so I can't say I loved the Orangerie. Maybe the National Gallery of Art and the Louvre have spoiled me. I did however, like how the first exhibition you saw was the Water lilies. It kept you bubbling with excitement until the last few minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Not only a beautiful choice of artwork, but also a beautiful piece of writing. Olivia, your writing is very sophisticated! Great job. I hope you enjoyed the rest of Paris as much as you seemed to enjoy Monet's work. EP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Ms. Elaine. Your comment really made my day! Have a nice Easter!
    -Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of Monet, especially the water lilies, so you made a great choice. I love the way you included some background information about the paintings. Well done, Olivia. Sounds like Paris was fun. What was your avorite part of your trip there? Being up on the Eiffel Tower at night must have been beautiful (and probably a little scary!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Grandma. I agree, Monet's work is amazing. My favorite part of the trip was having crepes. They were so good! The top of the Eiffel Tower has a great view of the city but was definitely scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to make your home really look really beautiful , paintings are the best way to do it believe home looks very well decorated . If you are looking to find Oil Paintings Reproductions at very economical price or cheap rates, you must visit wahooart.com

    ReplyDelete