Blog Archive

Friday, March 16, 2012

Aboard the Musical Train

My commute to the Autonomous University of Barcelona is about one hour, door to door.  It involves a 10-minute walk to the train, a 5 or so minute wait, a 1/2 hour ride, and then a 10 or so minute walk to my office.  I've never been much of a commuter, and at first I used the time to look at the countryside, but lately, I've been able to use this time to read. Occasionally I get treated to something else.  On a few of these trips, I've been fortunate enough to be entertained by musicians.  I know that this is not unlike other trains or subways around the world.  A few months ago, for example, my wife and I were treated to a five-man a cappella mini-concert in New York.  Another time, in Mexico, a band playing Andean music boarded a bus on a half-hour ride, and wound up giving us a personal concert. 

Still, before Barcelona I had never been exposed to such a variety of music inside trains.  Every now and then, a fiddler pops in to be followed by a keyboardist, and just yesterday, a flutist (or at least that's what I'm guessing he was, since he had his back to me) stopped by.  I recorded part of his performance and had meant to include outdoor scenes but as it were, this was toward the end of my commute home, Instead of capturing trees and countryside, I wound up documenting the reflections of people on the train. Not until I was home was I able to get a closer look at their reactions. I'm not sure if you'll be able to upload it, but if you can, I think you'll enjoy the music and will be reminded of the sentiments of the likes of Whitman: that music really is around us.  I also think you'll be reminded that sometimes, because we're too familiar with it, or maybe because we're so wrapped up with our own lives, it's like that music isn't even there. 


1 comment: