Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dona amb mantellina: A Visit to the Picasso Museum

          Yesterday we went to the Picasso Museum in Barcelona where my parents had us each choose a painting to write about and I chose "Dona amb mantellina" because I truly love Picasso's ability to try different art styles he learned about in France and play around with them, and this work of art demonstrates that ability well. It looks as if Picasso attempted pointillism in this painting, which if you read my blog post about "The Coastal Scene" painting in London, you know I adore. In addition to the fact that pointillism (or at least an art style very similar to pointillism) was incorporated into this painting, I also enjoy the lovely variety of colors Picasso used as well as how Picasso painted with darker colors in some places and lighter in others to add dimension. Another thing that makes this painting great is that first Picasso drew a sketch of the women, then used his sketch as an outline, but he left parts of his sketch still visible, which makes the painting look incomplete. I really like how the painting doesn't look complete because it reminds me of the quote "A painting is never finished- it simply stops in interesting places" and this painting is interesting. Just by easily looking at this piece, I learned some art techniques I'll definitely be sure to remember next time I pick up a paint brush.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to this Picasso painting. It is very beautiful and I love the way he left part of it in sketch form. Very nice well-written review!

    ReplyDelete