Blog Archive

Friday, January 27, 2012

Reaction to "Water Lily Pond" by Monet at London National Gallery

"The Water-Lily Pond" by Claude-Oscar Monet
I like how the painting shows only one thing and it's very peaceful. It's really hard to pick a subject when you're painting.  What is think that ponds are like the stuff I like as paintings.  It's like it can see me back because it reminds probably a lot of people of what they saw in their life once.  It really made me want to keep it because every lily has a different detail.  It's also amazing how he can get the right colors like lots of artists and they need to mix all these colors together, and that makes a really good painting.  But they only use about one, two or three basic colors.  I really like blurry paintings because it actually looks nice.  You can find this painting at the London National Gallery. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this painting too! As you know, I am a big fan of VanGogh's still life. But that doesn't mean Monet's landscapes aren't beyond gorgeous. He obviously put a lot of hard work into this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monet is one of my very favorite artists and this one is particularly beautiful and peaceful, as you said. Great observations about the painting, Sofia. I like the blurry effect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sofia- I like when you wrote "It's like he can see me back". Isn't it wonderful when an artist can "see" what you are thinking? You are so lucky to have seen a real Monet painting, and your words to describe it are very thoughtful. I think you have your dad's talent with words. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blogs! xxx000 Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky enough to see this alongside about 10 of Monet's earlier efforts of the same subject. What really struck me was that he didn't get it right the first time. I'd always just assumed he picked a subject, painted it once, and created a masterpiece. Even Monet had a bunch of lousy first drafts :).

    -Tony

    ReplyDelete