Blog Archive

Friday, January 27, 2012

"Coastal Scene" by Theo van Rysselberghe

One of my favorite paintings I saw yesterday at the National Gallery yesterday in London was "Coastal Scene" which was created by Theo van Rysselberghe in about 1892. I love this piece because the technique that was used to make this painting is pointillism, which is a technique in which artists make thousands of tiny dots form together to make a picture. I remember learning about pointillism in elementary school and I thought it was very beautiful so to see an actual pointillism painting by a famous artist was a great opportunity for me. When you look at this pointillism painting from far away you see a gorgeous realistic scene of the ocean, however, when you get close up to the work you can see every individual dot and you just stand there and imagine how long it must have taken to draw each tiny dot.   

2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful painting that I was not familiar with but now I am, thanks to you, Cassie. Pointillism is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassie- You chose a beautiful example of pointillism to write about. Your comments made me do a little research on the difference between pointillism and impressionism, so I've learned something, too. When my daughter was in middle school she had to choose a painting and "reproduce" it by gluing tiny bits of paper to represent the painting (hers was a girl in a chair by Mary Cassatt). Kind of like points by a brush, only with paper. I still have it hanging up and I'll show it to you someday. I thought of how long it must have taken her. Imagine poor Rysselberghe! Also, I think you and your sisters have each chosen paintings that reflect your personalities. Amazing. Looking forward to more of your blogs. 000xxx Elaine

    ReplyDelete