Blog Archive

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Reaction to Seeing "Sunflowers" by Vincent VanGogh at the London National Gallery

The one painting I chose to give a shout out to is "Still Life: Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers" by Vincent VanGogh. I chose this painting for 3 reasons, the color, the beauty, and the way VanGogh signs his name. If you are wondering why then KEEP READING,
     The color of this painting makes you feel happy. Somehow VanGogh found just the right colors to make you feel warm. His vision was to make whoever sees this painting  feel happy. He made this for his friend to remind him of bright times in the past, present, and future. Not only does this painting make me feel happy, but it's also my favorite color (well, at least today it is).
     This painting is absolutely beautiful. The way the flowers are arranged show how much time he put into this magnificent painting. I love the way it's not aligned perfectly and the messy way the flowers fall. The vase shape has a modern look to it. It is a fun shape and I like how he used that instead of something like a cylinder. The shape of this vase gets more peoples attention. The detail is miraculous. The inside of the sunflowers almost looks like pointillism which is exactly the way sunflowers should be. The elaboration in this painting shows that VanGogh truly but a lot of effort into this painting.
     Finally, I chose this painting because of the way he signed his name. I thought that that was a creative idea and shows how outgoing he is. It was also a very unique way to sign his name. I mean be honest, how many other painters do you know of that sign their name like that? Not only was this a creative and unique idea but it was also a perfect place to sign it. Where could be a better place to sign your name than there?

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful analytical essay, Olivia! Well done! I have always loved this picture and do you remember that I have a reproduction of it in the spare bedroom? I also love all the photos, especially the 4 of you in the phone booth and Nolan with the palace guard hat. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia-- I'm with you on this one! Van Gogh is a long time favorite with me, and like your grandmother, I have a reproduction of it. A while ago, Joe bought me a mug and a matching plate with the sunflowers on them, I was so crazy about Van Gogh. Some day you might want to read Lust for Life, his life's story. Another favorite is Starry Night. You are so lucky to actually see such beautiful art. Just curious- did you see the work of any American artists??? I'll be looking for your next blog. BTW Hope you got to ride on the EYE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This and the Monet you posted are two of my favorite works of all time. I have prints of both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Grandma, Ms. Elaine, and Mr. Tony! Yes, I do remember the reproduction of it in the spare bedroom. Doesn't it bring a smile to your face every time you guys see the painting? Thanks for the book recommendation, Ms. Elaine! I love the painting, Starry Night! I even have a shirt of it! No, I don't think we saw work by any American artist. We did get to ride the eye though! It was a great view.:)
    -Olivia

    ReplyDelete