Blog Archive

Monday, July 9, 2012

Independent Homeschooling Subject: Me

In 6 months, I've learned several things about myself. I've learned that I know more Spanish than I thought I did, I learn a language faster than I thought, I dislike traveling, and I'm more social than I thought.

I've taken Spanish class since 1st grade. The classes were always very basic. I never thought I would ever have to speak to someone in Spanish using the questions and answers we've learned in Spanish class. I remember wondering why we should learn a language we probably won't ever have to speak. It makes the school lose money while you could be learning something more fascinating such as history. I now know why. I've answered with confidence where I was from when someone asked at the park about two months ago.

I also realized that I learn a language fast. I've always been quite practical with my strengths and weaknesses. However, I sometimes underestimate my strengths. I never really realized how fast I can learn a language. I think that I can remember things better when I experience it and put myself in a world of the beautiful language helps me remember it better. Yesterday morning, I looked up the alphabet in sign language and I memorized it by the afternoon.
 
I also learned that I can get stressed out when we have to go on airplanes or subways.  I don't like airplanes because they make my ears clog up and it's hard to sit down and wait for so long. On our plane ride to Barcelona from the U. S. my ears were not only clogged, but they hurt. The pain was almost unbearable. Luckily, it was in the last hour I started to feel like that. The packing makes me the most nervous. I'm always worried that we forgot something. I frantically end up searching for something at the last minute and end up forgetting something like my toothbrush.
Lastly,  I realized that I'm more social than I thought. I know I've never clung to my friends but I did think I was more independent. I always check my email or see if they're on Skype so I can talk to them. I think the reason is we only have one friend here in Spain and I get bored without being able to invite a friend over or see them at school. I miss my friends and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them.

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your posts, Olivia. They are vibrant, humorous, and engaging. However, I'll be glad when you've returned home and I can enjoy your comments in person. You have accomplished quite an adventure. Congrats!! EP

    ReplyDelete