Blog Archive

Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Orsay: Where They Have Only the Greatest Bad Paintings

Van Gogh Self Portrait
"The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer"
During our trip to Paris we visited lots of museums where we encountered many amazing and famous works of art. My favorite museum we went to was the Orsay where they had two pieces of artwork that I especially enjoyed. One was Van Gogh's self portrait. I like this painting because of how Van Gogh  successfully made the blue on his shirt look different from the background while it is still the same color. I also liked seeing this painting because, along with many paintings in the Orsay, it was a painting I immediately recognized.

While I really liked Van Gogh's self portrait I also liked "The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer" by Edger Degas because everything was made out of dark colored material except the bow and tutu which make them stand out. I also liked this sculpture because it is a sculpture of a dancer and I take dance classes so, naturally, dance artwork interests me. Edgar Degas (the artist who made this sculpture) had many dance paintings and sculptures so I enjoyed his section of the museum. I loved this museum because it had so much wonderful artwork, including even a whole section on lovely pointillism which is a type of art I think is absolutely beautiful. Like the director of the Orsay once said "Of course there are bad paintings, but we have only the greatest bad paintings"

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting and perceptive observations about 2 very different works on art. I love reading all your articles which are very well-written! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read a post from you, Cassie. You are getting to be a museum expert! Hope you didn't eat all of your chocolate treat at once. Those were pieces of art, too! EP

    ReplyDelete