Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Montserrat: The Top of the Rollercoaster

Tracks at Edge of Mountain




Where Cathedral was Built

See the Cathedral?
        Yesterday my family and I went to Montserrat, which is a 4,000 foot mountain in Spain with a cathedral toward the top. While we could've gotten to the top of the mountain in a cable car, we went up in a train that was a bit less terrifying for some members of my family.  As the cable cart would have, the train gave us great views of Spain. At the top of the mountain inside the cathedral was a statue of the Black Virgin Mary.  It is believed that shepherds heard music and saw light that led them to a grotto and the statue, which is now kept in the cathedral in Montserrat.
      On the mountain there is a museum you can visit, but my family just went to the cathedral since we got to Montserrat a bit late in the day. Although for us it wasn't too busy, I'm sure it's more crowded in the summer when it's not quite as cold on the mountains and kids are out of school.
       On Montserrat, after we went in the cathedral, we went to a cafe for lunch, which didn't have excellent food, however, the gift shop had delicious chocolate, jellies, sauces, and cookies made by the Monks who live on the mountain.  They had unusual flavored jellies such as onion jelly, pear with olive jelly, kiwi jelly, and chocolate with strawberry jelly(which  we bought). My favorite part of our trip to Montserrat was the ride up because I enjoyed the views and loved how it made me feel like I was going up a roller coaster. While Montserrat was fun and I think it was worth going to, there isn't a whole lot to do there so you don't need to spend too much time on the top (which was good for us because, as I mentioned earlier, we got there late in the day).
Almost Near the Bottom
The Black Virgin

Again, Edge of Train Track


2 comments:

  1. Whoa! That looks like a cliff-hanger ride! I've read about this in travel guide books and it seems like a must-do.
    Incidentally, in the photo of the 3 of you, it looks like your hair has grown at least 4 inches since I saw you last. You all look happy, healthy and beautiful as usual. Love, EP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking! I don't know if Gramma would have liked the ride up there but the views are awesome. Nice to see everyone having fun.

    ReplyDelete