Blog Archive

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Gondolas Under the Rialto Bridge

     This past week my family had a wonderful oppurtunity to visit Venice, a place like no other. As we excitedly rode on a boat into Venice, and I started to notice steps covered by water, my Mom explained to me how Venice is slowly sinking, and the sea level is rising. As a result, they are making a system so that if the sea levels get too high, they have a way to block all water ways from getting into Venice.
      Once we got into Venice, we stopped in many shops and found something called Murano glass, which is lovely hand blown glass made in Murano, an Island only about a mile north of Venice.  After a bit of shopping, I not only got the chance to see gondeleers happily steer their gondulas on water that replaces streets, but got to ride in one and slowly glide past Marco Polo's and Mozart's houses along with Rialto bridge which really was an unbelievebly gorgeous site with the boats on water that sparkles beneath it.
      What I found very quickly once I gladly stepped foot in Venice was beauty, beauty in the Gondolas, the buildings, the Murano glass, the Rialto bridge.  I could go on and on, but that would take up the whole page at least. When I was just four, I remember watching a show on Venice and thinking how fun it would be to go there. I didn't know what it was called. In fact, I didn't even know if this place was real, but I knew it was a place with these beautiful boats called gondolas and no streets, but instead water. Without a doubt, it was like a dream come true for me to go to this fantastic place.






1 comment: