Blog Archive

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sagrada Familia: The Unfinished Miracle of Gaudi


Recently, we went to Sagrada Familia with our uncle and his girlfriend who are visiting us for the week. Sagrada Familia is a spectacular church Gaudi devoted his work to until he died in 1926. Today the wonders designed by him are still unfinished and predicted to be done in the year of 2040. What I find interesting is how complex the design of this miraculous church is. It has mosaic touches of the designer at the top of the stretching peaks, very Spanish looking sculptures of Jesus on the cross, and stone with modern circles clutched on to it. I found touches of Gaudi in this church but I can't say I think God's architect would have liked his own design. He usually designed without much detail and his workers would have to come to him and ask exactly what he wanted. I don't think the workers doing it today are making the tall church the way Gaudi would like it. I knew at once which part he was devoted to when death captured him because his was seeping with so much creativity. The side he did had mosaic berries topped on the peaks and gold accents flying on the stone. The rest is phenomenal too but I don't think it floats far enough to meet Gaudi.

1 comment:

  1. I also want to go to see this when I visit. Hope it's not too far away. Sounds likes you all are doing a lot of walking.

    ReplyDelete